Yarn-Maché Decorative Containers| February 2018
Ever wondered what to do with all those yarn scraps that accumulate from various projects—too short to do anything with, but too long to throw away? Here is a creative solution: yarn-maché.
An adult will have to make the paste, but the rest of the activity is a great sensory experience for kids. We used a bowl for a mold in order to create a decorative basket, but as with paper-maché, you can use a variety of objects as molds, including balloons. The results will be colorful and unique!
To prepare, make a paste as you would for paper-maché:
1. Cover the outside of a bowl with plastic wrap.
2. Dip yarn scraps into paste mixture.
3. Layer the saturated yarn pieces over the bowl until it is completely covered.
4. Place in a safe place to dry. After several days when the yarn is completely hardened, gently remove from bowl.
5. Use as a decorative container, gift, or whatever creative purpose you wish!
More ideas for creative containers here.